Per the ruling of the Supreme Court in the case Asare Vs Attorney General (2012) ISCGLR on the rights of Dual Nationals, Ghanaians who are eligible for Dual Citizenship, under the provisions of The Citizenship Act 2002 (Act 591), are no longer mandatorily required to apply for Dual Certificate or Card.
Ghanaians eligible for Ghanaian dual citizenship cards and certificates and applying for same may do so on their own volition for their own benefit.
Per the directive of The Ghana Immigration Service when travelling to Ghana, dual nationals could have their Ghana passports, for entry purposes without a visa, and their other passport for exit out of Ghana. Those travellers are to provide both passports at the immigration check point upon arrival in Ghana.
In the cases of countries where their citizenship laws do not subscribe to dual nationality, Ghanaians who opted to renounce their Ghanaian nationality in favour of the citizenship of those countries would have to bear their own responsibility of travelling to Ghana with their own choice of travelling document.
A decision to travel to Ghana with a foreign passport without a Dual Nationality Card would automatically require a Ghanaian entry visa not because the applicant who renounced his or her Ghanaian nationality is being treated unfairly but in view of the decision to travel with a foreign passport.
1. Six (6) recent passport sized photographs (size : 35 x 45mm). Applicants must ensure that the pictures are clear, with plain white background
2. Evidence of payment
APPLICATIONS FOR CHILDREN BORN OUTSIDE GHANA MUST ALSO INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
1. Copy of birth certificate
2. Copy of Ghanaian parent’s passport
3. Copy of bio-data page of child’s Ghanaian passport
4. Copy of bio-data page of child’s Foreign passport
All questions should be answered. The absence of crucial information may cause a delay in the processing of the application.
A DUAL CITIZENSHIP HOLDER
1. On acquiring the dual citizenship, a holder will be entitled to apply for Ghanaian passport in addition to their other passport.
2. Shall be permitted to remain in Ghana without limitation provided the person entered on a Ghanaian passport.
3. Shall not be permitted to use two passports interchangeably to deceive an Immigration Officer. Any holder of Dual Citizenship found to be using two passports interchangeably will be considered to have committed a criminal offence and will be liable on a summary conviction to a fine not exceeding 250 penalty units or to a term of imprisonment not exceeding one year or to both.
4. No citizen of Ghana shall qualify to be appointed as a holder of any office specified in this section if he holds the citizenship of any other country in addition to his citizenship of Ghana:
- Chief Justice and Justices of Supreme Court
- Ambassador or High Commissioner
- Secretary to the Cabinet
- Chief of Defence Staff
- Inspector-General of Police
- Commissioner, Customs Excise and Preventive Service
- Director of Immigration Service
- Commissioner, Value Added Tax Service
- Director-General, Prisons Service
- Chief Fire Officer
- Minister or Deputy Minister
- Chief Director of Ministry
- A rank of Colonel in the army or its equivalent in other security services; and
- Any other public offices that the Minister for the Interior may by legislative instrument prescribe.